There is no one set of characteristics that can verify an antique or collectible piece but some of the following criteria can be considered to verify the probability of a carpet or rug to be classified in this category.
- When looking at the rug the color should be harmonious unless rug is very old which may have symbolic value.
- Quality wool or silk fiber are important factor.
- Look at the texture and luster of the carpets and feel the quality. It should be smooth and have a pleasant feeling when touching the rugs.
- Check if the design, color, pattern and condition conform the estimated age of the piece.
- Rarity of the carpet or rug is another factor to classify as antique or collectible.
- Condition of the piece check for repair or replacement of a section of the rug. Are the fringes and edges original ?
- Finally the aesthetic quality of the carpet or rug.
If you are looking for a quality antique Persian carpet or rug, feel free to contact us.